For posterity's sake, the Original (successful) Metro-wide Petition:
This
petition went live on August 22, 2007

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

No, They ain't Wegman's

In the few weeks since I started this petition, I've heard a lot about Wegman's. A grocery store chain based in a handful of Northeast and Midatlantic states, it apparently makes people swoon even more than TJ's. You can go to this Nashville Scene blog for a little more of the local conversation.

They have been rated one of the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For EVERY year since 1998. This year, they were named one of the World's Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere Magazine (quick poll--how many of you have heard of this magazine?--I mean, I like to think I keep up on social justice publications, but I guess not).

One thing that I will say about Wegman's, they COMMUNICATE, which is something I wish TJ's would master. You can go to Wegman's website and see their UP TO DATE expansion plans. With one little sentence, they make things very clear: "Today, we have stores in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia and Maryland, with no plans at the moment to expand beyond those five states."

While I know this may dash the hopes of those wishing for Wegman's, at least you know what to expect. With TJ's there's this constant rumor mill that, as far as I can tell, is only fueled by conversations with their corporate offices or their staff at other stores. One person will be told that a store will open in Cool Springs or Franklin in 2008. Another will say that Middle Tennessee isn't even included in their long range (5 year) plans, and that maybe we will get one in 7 years. One person will be told it is the liquor laws that's keeping them away (based on their stores in other states with similarly ridiculous liquor laws, I know this to be a falsehood). Another will be told that has nothing to do with it, but that there isn't an adequate distribution set up within one day's drive (even though they can manage distribution 4 hours away in Atlanta).

Now, I understand the need for secrecy when you are concerned with competition. Let's get real, though. TJ's doesn't have any true competition in most parts of the US, and as we have seen, Wegman's expands at an even more leisurely pace. Whole Foods is rightly concerned about TJ's, as they charge astronomical prices in the absence of such competition. But what does TJ's have to fear?

If I seem a bit impatient, well, I am. It has more to do with not getting the straight scoop than waiting for the store to come. Having been told by another TJ's fan last night that she spoke with corporate yesterday and was told we might be waiting 7 years, when they neglected to mention that to me when I talked to them 2 weeks ago, is a bit irritating.

So, while I have never set foot in a Wegman's, I am already a fan of their quality of communication, something TJ's appears to need to work on.

No comments: