For posterity's sake, the Original (successful) Metro-wide Petition:
This
petition went live on August 22, 2007

Saturday, February 7, 2009

I guess East Nashville is willing to travel...

A few months back, I started a second petition to encourage TJ's to choose East Nashville for their next location. I officially abandon that project. For one, only a little over 300 folks signed it; pretty far from a mandate. Second, there is the Turnip Truck...

Last night I went to the Turnip Truck (hereafter, the TT). My visits are definitely less frequent since TJs came to town. As I walked the aisles, I recollected the day that Ian and I visited the TT for the first time. It was on a visit from Chicago in 2002 after we made an offer on our house. We were very excited the TT was there, but we were shocked by the prices. I find that feeling returning. One of the items (frozen chicken nuggets--I can't remember the brand) that I explicitly went to get last night--and ended up not buying--had gone up in price at least 60 cents to $7.59! I already thought they were expensive before, but they are so yummy, the splurge seemed worth it in the past.

So I walked out with four items: muesli for Ian, baby cereal for Reed (she'll be starting on solids this weekend), bacon, and salsa. If I wanted to, I think I could find good/passable substitutes for all of these items somewhere else easily. The store was pretty empty, although Friday nights are not a big grocery shopping time. I left wondering how business has been for them since TJs opened. I almost always run into someone I know from East Nashville when I'm at TJ's.

I have definitely never been able to afford to buy much at the TT in the past. I don't know how much the TT relies on a bunch of folks like me buying a handful of items every week or so. I thought I would continue to buy that handful, but I realize that I am going to have to be intentional about it in the future. I'm certain the TT would be impacted even more if TJs was in the neighborhood.

So, to those who expressed concern to me about the Turnip Truck's welfare, I now agree. I hope they survive these economic times and the competition that TJs represents. I will do my best to give them my business, as our budget allows.

No comments: